Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence is an abnormal condition when a man is unable to get an erection or at times is unable to keep the erection firm enough to have a satisfying sexual experience. Erectile dysfunction or Impotence leaves the man with a devastating feeling not being able to perform or satisfy his partner.
In most cases, Erectile dysfunction becomes the cause of breakups in a relationship. Yes, seriously, let’s have a detailed look into the symptoms, causes, and treatment for erection problem.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Difficulty in achieving an erection
- Inability to sustain an erection
- Inability to have an erection
- Premature ejaculation
- Delayed ejaculation
- Inability to ejaculate
- Reduced libido or desire
causes of erectile dysfunction
Also Read – Erectile Dysfunction: Stop Living Your Life With Embarrassment Of Not Being Able To Perform When There Is Fix For It
Certain common causes responsible for a man to suffer from erection problem include:
- Age: With the advancement of age, it is obvious for a man to experience the loss of erection especially after the 40s.
- Medications and supplements: certain medicines including chemotherapy drugs and some supplements taken during gym effect or interfere with the blood flow to the penis leading to loss of erection.
- Stress and Anxiety: A number of psychological concerns are associated with sexual dysfunction in men.
- Surgery: Few surgeries including prostate surgery too lead to erection issue.
- Injury: Any injury to the genital area lead to erection issue or men with spinal cord injury to experience erectile dysfunction.
- Diseases and Conditions: Certain medical conditions that affect our nervous system circulation are one of the leading causes of erectile dysfunction such as High blood pressure, Diabetes (erectile dysfunction due to diabetes), neurological disorders like multiple sclerosis.
- Lifestyle factors: Smoking, excessive drinking, using recreational drugs, and even bike riding for extended periods cause erectile dysfunction.
DIAGNOSIS OF ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
- A Physical Examination by the Urologist is the prime most tool in evaluating erectile dysfunction.
- A psychiatrist also assesses psychological wellbeing.
- Penile colour Doppler is an ultrasound of a penis, which is done to check the blood flow in and out of the penis.
TREATMENT OF ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
Since the causes of Erectile Dysfunction are so diverse, therefore it is not simple to generalize about how ED is treated best. Treatment may differ from man to man because one treatment can be beneficial for one need not be useful to the other.
Various treatment options for erectile dysfunction include:
- Lifestyle changes:
- Quit smoking
- Cut on alcohol
- Get involved in some sports or physical activity like exercises
- Reduce extra body weight
- Medicines are useful in mild cases
- Counselling helps men with situational or occasional ED
- Vacuum pumps
- Shockwave Therapy: mild electric shockwaves are passed through the penis to revive the obstructed blood flow relieving the symptoms of erectile dysfunction. However, it is useful in mild to moderate cases of ED.
- A penile prosthesis or penile implant is hope for the men who do not get any positive response from medicines or any other treatment options for a long time. Penile Implants help the men suffering from ED to restore their quality of life. Click on the link to read the benefits of penile implant.
Book an appointment with the urologist at the medical treatment centre.