About Knee Replacement Surgery
Any impairment in the knees will require knee replacement surgery if other treatments do not work.
Why is it useful?
To be from pain and can have a quality life.
Reasons for Knee Replacement
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Injury-related arthritis
Who might need a Knee Replacement?
- Chronic knee pain that hinders daily activities
- Medications do not alleviate knee pain
- Caused knee deformity
How is it performed?
- Done by orthopedic surgeons in the OR
- Anesthesia: general anesthesia, spinal anesthesia, epidural anesthesia, or regional nerve blocks
- Surgery lasts 1 to 3 hours
- The patient stays in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) for 1-2 hours.
- Compression boots wrapped around the legs
- Blood thinners and pain killers will be given.
- Leg will be elevated.
- A physical therapist will check the patient a day after surgery.
- Hospital stay: 3-5 days.
- Crutches are used for the first few weeks.
- Physical therapy
Recovering at Home
- A clean post-operative site.
- Healthy diet.
- Take prescribed medications.
- Protect yourself from fall.
- Avoid strenuous and high impact activities.
- Perform light activities.
- Ask assistance while taking a shower.
Questions may be asked to patients
- a doctor gathers information to make sure that everything will go well until you are fully recovered
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Pulmonary embolism
- Allergic reaction from bone cement
- Fracture during or after the knee replacement
- Nerve damage
- Injury to blood vessels
- Loosening of prostheses
- Pain and stiffness of knee joint
- Bleeding on knee joint
- Dislocation of knee cap
- Uneven leg length post-surgery
Alternatives to Knee Replacement Surgery
- Physical therapist sessions
- Maintain ideal body weight
- Hyaluronic acid shots in knees
- Pain killers, using topical creams, or Cortisone shots in knees
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Plasma-rich protein injections
- Autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI)
- Knee-cap replacement
- Mini-incision surgery (MIS)
Follow us on
Are you looking for Knee Replacement Surgery ? Please fill the form.
Checkout our Blogs also.