Gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ positioned in right upper abdomen, just beneath the ribcage. The gallbladder pain tends to occur a few hours after a heavy meal especially in the evening or at night.
Gall Bladder stones are generally small and hard deposits inside the gall bladder that are generally formed when the stored bile is crystallized. Gallstones vary in size from a small stone as a grain of sand or as large as an apricot.
What are the symptoms of gall bladder stones?
They usually include:
- Pain in your upper back and upper belly that can last for several hours
- Other digestive problems including bloating, indigestion and heartburn, and gas.
Causes of Gallbladder Pain and Treatment Options
The following health problems are the main reasons for gallbladder pain:
- GALL BLADDER STONES are one of the main and leading causes of gall bladder pain.Gall bladder stones are the hard particles that are formed because of either an imbalance of the substances that make up bile juice or the gallbladder not emptying, as it should. Gall bladder stone vary in size, from a quite small grain like size to the size of a golf ball.Serious complications can arise if gallstones are ignored. Complications may include, infection and inflammation in the gallbladder, common bile duct, or the pancreas posing a great risk to one’s health.
- BILIARY SLUDGE : Like Gallstones, biliary sludge or thickened bile salts can also be developed in the gallbladder.This sludge stops healthy bile emptying out of the gallbladder. This has similar symptoms and complications as Gallstones has.
- CHOLECYSTITIS : This condition is indicated when there is infection and inflammation in gallbladder and it happens as a result of gallstones.
- ACUTE CHOLECYSTITIS : This condition arises when a gallstone stuck within the gallbladder, inflammation ensues, causing abdominal pain called as biliary colic along with pain in upper & right part of abdomen, nausea, vomiting, fever, and a loss of appetite.
Diagnosis of Gall bladder stones :
Physical examination by the general surgeon including patient’s medical history.
- Blood Tests
- Ultrasound whole abdomen defines the presence of Gall bladder stones.
- The surgeon can advise computed tomography (CT) scan in some cases.
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)
Treatment for Gall Bladder Stones :
The treatment of gallbladder pain is decided on the basis of causing factor.
Medications:Medications are rarely used to treat gallstones.
In case of gall bladder stone, General Surgeons agree that stone removal techniques have an unacceptably high recurrence rate with non-operative measures. Cholecystectomy (Gall bladder removal) is the treatment of choice for gall bladder stones.
Cholecystectomy can be done by open surgery or laparoscopic surgery. The gold standard treatment is ‘Mini Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy’ under general anaesthesia. It is a safe procedure for Gall bladder removal that involves 4 small holes only (three 5 mm, one 10 mm). The procedure has become a gold standard treatment for gall bladder stone.
- Open cholecystectomy: The gallbladder is removed surgically making a large cut in the abdomen.It is outdated procedure as results are not satisfactory also recovery takes a long time.
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: Gallbladder is removed surgically using laparoscope-a long, thin instrument equipped with camera through a minimal incision or much smaller cut in the abdomen. Recovery is fast. Lap chole or Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is considered as the gold standard treatment for gall bladder removal surgery.
Book an appointment with top surgeon in Delhi for gall bladder removal surgery.
Length of Stay : 2-3 days in hospital
Success Rate : 99%
Advantages of Laparoscopy:
- Minimal pain
- Minimal invasive
- Early recovery of the patient
- Scar less
- Short Stay
- High Success rate
To know more, Read our blogs.