WHAT IS A BRAIN TUMOR?
Abnormal or excessive growth of cells in the brain that forms a mass or swelling leading to compression or pressure on the surrounding tissue.
There are many brain tumors which are non-cancerous called benign brain tumors. not every brain tumor is cancer. those, which are cancerous, are called malignant brain tumors. brain tumors can begin in the brain termed as a primary brain tumor or cancer can begin in other parts of the body and further spread to the brain termed as secondary brain tumors.
WHAT ARE THE CLINICAL FEATURES OR SYMPTOMS OF A BRAIN TUMOR?
Symptoms of a brain tumor vary from case to case as it depends on the size, location and growth rate of the tumor. Typical signs and symptoms of a brain tumor are as follows:
- Intense and prolong headache
- Fits, seizures
- Nausea and vomiting for no reason
- Blurred vision or double vision
- Difficulty with body balancing
- The weakness of one side of the body or loss of sensation in the arm or leg on one side
- Difficulty with speech
- Difficulty in hearing at times
DIAGNOSIS OF A BRAIN TUMOR
- A neurological exam: includes checking the patient’s vision, hearing, balance, coordination, strength, and reflexes.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is commonly used to diagnose brain tumors.
- Sometimes other imaging tests are recommended by Neurosurgeons, including computerized tomography (CT).
TREATMENT FOR BRAIN TUMOR
Surgery is the best option of treatment for a brain tumor if the brain tumor is located in a place that makes it accessible for surgical intervention.
In some cases, tumors are small and easy to operate whereas in other cases, tumors are located near sensitive areas in your brain so complicate the surgery.
Minimally Invasive Scarless Brain Surgery
Minimal invasive brain surgery is done in the cases if the tumor is very deep-seated. The Neurosurgeons are doing the complicated surgeries using advanced approaches like surgical navigation and mapping equipment to visualize exactly where the tumor is located and for a better clinical outcome eventually.
People who undergo the advanced minimal invasive brain tumor surgery experience the following advantages:
- Shorter hospital stay
- A tumor is removed safely with minimized risk
- Faster recovery
- The less expected mortality rate
- High success rate
- Minimal scars and complications
To know more, Read our blogs.