The prostate is a small gland in Males which is walnut-sized and located between the bladder and the penis. Many Men experience urinary problems as their age advances. The reason can be inflammation or increased size of prostate. The increased size of prostate is termed as Enlarged prostate or Benign prostate hyperplasia. It happens to almost all Men after 45 years. This does not indicate prostate cancer but it should be thoroughly evaluated by the top urologist. Few Men do not experience any symptom related to enlarged prostate however it is suggested for every Men to consult their Urologist once to keep their prostate in good health.
Following are the symptoms a Man experiences when suffering from Benign Prostate hyperplasia:
- Though bladder feels full but trouble initiating urine flow
- Interrupted or weak urinary stream
- Frequent urination
- Sudden urgency to urinate
- Inability to empty the bladder completely during urination
Enlarged Prostate Treatment depends on the severity of the problem. Few Men though symptomatic but can be managed with medicines. In case the symptoms are severe, the Urologist may recommend the surgical intervention for the patient.
- Transurethral resection of prostate (TURP): This is the most common surgery advised by the Urologists. Enlarged Prostate Success rate is high in comparison to other methods. Hospital stay is 1-2 days followed by a routine check up visit with the urologist after a week.
- Open Prostatectomy
- LASER surgery: Enlarged tissue in prostate is destroyed using LASER.
To know more, Read our Enlarged Prostate Blog.