It is a birth defect in males where urinary opening is not at the usual location of penis. It is somewhere beneath the usual opening. It is a urinary abnormality which occurs in 3 out of 100 newly born boys. Paediatrician at the time of birth finds out the abnormality and refers to the Urologist who is expert in managing cases of Hypospadias.
Few males grow up with Hypospadias and few live their whole life with this abnormality.
Clinical features/symptoms of Hypospadias are as follows:
- Urinary opening at the unusual site of the penis.
- As a result, abnormal spraying while urination.
- Penile curvature which becomes significant with the age.
- Hood like the appearance of foreskin
Hypospadias is completely manageable provided parents (in case of kids) or adult patients consult a Reconstructive Urologist considering his frequency of dealing with such cases.
The ideal treatment of Hypospadias in Delhi is surgery only which is accomplished in stages depending upon the severity and complications of the case.
Hypospadias if not treated can lead to many complications like :
- Significant penile curvature causing painful sexual intercourse.
- Abnormal appearance of the penis.
- A patient would not be able to pee without sitting.
Surgery of Hypospadias is safe and well tolerated by the patient by the patient is a kid or an adult.
In children, surgical intervention is recommended after the child gets one year old.
The success rate is good if the procedure is carried out under the supervision of an expert Urologist. After the surgery, the patient can resume to normal life after two weeks.
To know more, Read our Hypospadias Blog.