Kidney stone is a solid piece of material which is usually formed in kidney when level of minerals usually found in urine is increased. Urine contains many dissolved minerals and salts, when level of these minerals and salts is on high side one can form stones. Stones can be formed in one or both kidneys, also found in Ureter and Urinary Bladder. Kidney stones can block the flow of urine and cause infection, kidney damage or even kidney failure. Kidney stones size can vary from a tiny particle as big as filling the lower part of kidney. Kidney stones are found in kids and adults both.
SYMPTOMS OF KIDNEY STONE:
Despite of differences in size or location of the stones, symptoms are same in each case. Kidney stone’s classic symptom is sharp flank pain originating from side of back and radiating till groin.
Following are the associated symptoms of kidney stones:
- Frequent urination
- Fever with chills
- Blood in urine
- Burning sensation while urination
- Nausea and vomiting
TREATMENT optionS for KIDNEY STONE:
Kidney stones can be treated with the medical management (medicines) and surgically as well. Kidney stone treatment depends on certain factors like age of patient, size of the stone, location of stone and number of stones. Small stones donot require any treatment . At times these travel through the urinary tract and pass out of the body on their own. But some stones which grow within the body for months or even years and become large sized require surgical intervention for their removal.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) is a surgical intervention in which stones with large size are removed using a nephroscope. This procedure is carried out in General anaesthesia. It is minimal invasive procedure. Length of stay in hospital is 1-2 days.
- Ureteroscopy (URS) is performed when the stone is found in the ureter. This is a non invasive procedure in which ureteric stone is removed using a small ureteroscope which is made to pass through the bladder and then into the ureter.
- RIRS (Retrograde Intra renal surgery): flexible Ureteroscope is used to remove the stones in upper part of ureter and kidney. This is the most advanced procedure to remove kidney stone till date. Hospital stay is of one day only and patient can resume his/her routine life in short span. Success rate is high provided procedure is done by an expert urologist.
RIRS: RETROGRADE INTRARENAL SURGERY
RIRS is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove kidney stones using a flexible ureteroscope under general anaesthesia. Other treatment options for kidney stone removal include PCNL, URS, Lithotripsy. But Retrograde intrarenal surgery is considered as a gold standard treatment for kidney stone removal as it is associated with high success rate. RIRS is considered as the most advanced treatment option for kidney stone removal till date.
A Urologist with expertise in RIRS is best suited Urosurgeon to perform this procedure.
In RIRS procedure, flexible ureteroscope is inserted into kidney through urethra and stones are fragmented inside kidney without making any cut on body.
Usually RIRS is recommended in the following cases:
- Failed attempts of treatment for kidney stones
- Tumour in kidney
- Grossly obese patient
- Kidney stones in children
Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery or RIRS techniques are absolutely outstanding. The urologist passes the ureteroscope into the kidney through urethra and when passed into the kidney, the kidney stones are identified and trashed using LASER.
A DJ stent is placed in the patient’s affected kidney (kidney carrying stone) two weeks before the RIRS procedure to dilate the kidney and make the access of ureteroscope easily.
RIRS surgery lasts for almost 1 hour in case of one-sided kidney stones.
Patient is made to stay in hospital for one night for a better observation.
Patient can resume his/her daily activities immediately after 2-3 days of surgery.
Advantages of this procedure:
- Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery or RIRS for kidney stoneremoval is quicker than traditional open surgery.
- Patients do not experience pain after surgery
- Recovery is much faster.
- There is minimal bleeding
- The kidney tissue is free of damage.
- RIRS is the safest procedure of kidney stone removal
- RIRS has better clearance of kidney stones.
- Less chances of recurrence of stones
Book an appointment with the best Urologist for RIRS at medical treatment centre.
Visit Medical Treatment Centre and find more information about Kidney Stone Treatment, Kidney Stone Pain, Kidney Stone Causes and Removal and Kidney Stone Treatment Cost.
To know more, Read our blogs.