Also known as UTI, it is an infection in lower urinary tract involving bladder and urethra. It becomes severe when it spreads to one’s kidneys. However Urinary tract infection is completely treatable. UTI is common in women in comparison to Men.
- Usually the patient may have the following symptoms:
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Women feel pain in pelvic region
- Pungent smelling urine
- Strong urge to urinate
- Passing urine in small amount and frequent
- In some cases Men suffer erection problem after prostate surgery
CAUSES of UTI (Urinary tract infection):
Usually UTI occurs due to bacterial infection in the urinary tract. Bacteria if not arrested, it multiplies on its own complicating the condition.
- Urine analysis- Urine sample is required to rule out the bacterial growth in urinary tract of the patient.
- Cystoscopy- Cystoscopy (Cystoscopy in Delhi) is a diagnostic procedure which is recommended by Urologist to rule out any abnormality in Urethra and Bladder. It is usually recommended in case of recurrent UTIs. A scope called cystoscope is inserted in urethra and passed through to bladder to see the inside.
Treatment for Urinary Tract Infection:
Treatment is defined depending upon the severity of the infection and type of bacteria. Antibiotics are useful for curing UTI. Depending upon the symptoms doses are defined by the treating Urologist. And in severe case of Urinary tract infection in females or Males, Urologist may advice the patient to get admitted in hospital for shorter duration to get antibiotics through intravenous. If Urinary tract infection is left untreated, it may cause serious complications including recurrent infection leading to kidney damage in some cases, in Men recurrent infection can lead to narrowing of urethra (stricture Urethra), and sepsis in cases where the infection spreads to kidney. It is advised to see the Urologist in case of you feel any related symptoms or imbibe a habit of regular health check up.
To know more, Read our blogs.