About Urethral Stricture
Occurs when an obstruction is present anywhere in the urethra, it causes the urethra passage to narrow.
Signs and Symptoms
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- A slow flow of urine
- Frequent urination
- Urinary incontinence (inability to control urination)
- Pain upon urination or pain on the lower abdominal area
- Straining to pass out urine
- Feeling that bladder is not fully emptied
- Blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Taking the patient’s history and physical assessment for males.
- Retrograde urethrogram
- Urethroscopy or cystoscopy
- Urinalysis, urine culture, and urethral culture
- Voiding Cystourethrogram (VCUG)
- Imaging studies: Ultrasound, MRI, CT-scan
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA)
Treatment for Urethral Stricture
- Urethral dilators
- Urethrotomy or Direct Vision Urethrotomy
- Insertion of the foley catheter or placement of the stent
- Surgical urethral reconstruction or Urethroplasty
Risk Factors and Complications
Risk factors for urethral stricture:
- Men who experienced one or more sexually transmitted infection
- Recent experience of trauma or injury in the pelvic area
- Who just had foley catheter/ catheter inserted through the urethra to drain urine
- Had just experienced infections affecting the urethra such as urethritis and urinary tract infection
- Men who have prostate enlargement
- Recent surgery in the urethra or prostate
Possible complications from urethra stricture treatment:
- Recurrence of urethral stricture
- Urinary incontinence- the inability to hold or control urination.
- The indwelling catheter will be placed for about 10 to 20 days to allow the urethra to heal.
- Sexual intercourse can be resumed after the indwelling catheter is removed.
- Resume light work after 2 weeks.
- Physical demanding jobs resumed after 4 weeks at least.
- Showers can be taken 2-3 days after surgery.
- Take prescribed pain medications to alleviate pain, swelling and discomfort.
- Contact your urologist for unusualities.
Check-ups after Surgery
Scheduled clinic visits by the urologist.
Follow us on
Are you looking for Urethral Stricture Treatment ? Please fill the form.
Checkout our Blogs also.